Research / Innovation
An ecosystem serving research & innovation
- 12,160employees in R&D
- 51accredited research units at Bourgogne-Franche-Comté University
- 5,600researchers (3/4 public sector, 1/4 private sector)
- 14world leading private research centres
- 4The top four patent applicants in France do business in our region: Valéo, PSA, Safran, CEA
- 13technological facilities
Major research organizations in Bourgogne-Franche-Comté
Four national research organizations
- CEA (ALTERNATIVE ENERGIES AND ATOMIC ENERGY COMMISSION)
As a major player in research, development and innovation, the CEA is involved in four areas: defence and security, nuclear power and renewable energies, technological research for industry and fundamental research (material sciences and life sciences).
- CNRS (NATIONAL CENTRE FOR SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH)
The CNRS is a public-sector research organization under the supervision of the ministry for higher education, research and innovation. It is multidisciplinary and covers all scientific domains: human and social sciences, biology, nuclear physics and particle physics, computer sciences, engineering and systems sciences, physics, mathematics, chemistry, earth and universe sciences, ecology and the environment. Laboratories include: ICB, CSGA, LE2I, FEMTO-ST, ThéMA, LERMPS, etc.
- INRA (NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH)
The INRA is a multidisciplinary centre whose research focuses on agro-ecology, taste and food. Local areas are at the heart of concerns about society and the challenges of tomorrow.
- INSERM (NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF HEALTH AND MEDICAL RESEARCH)
France’s only public-sector research organization dedicated exclusively to human health, it ensures the strategic, scientific and operational coordination of biomedical research.
Four health care establishments
- DIJON BOURGOGNE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL
Dijon Bourgogne university hospital has three main missions: A public service for emergency health care, diagnosis, health care and prevention, — Research programmes that it develops alone or in partnership with other health care establishments, scientific organizations or with industry, — An academic dynamic, on the basis of an agreement with the school of medicine for it to train future general practitioners and specialist physicians.
- BESANÇON REGIONAL UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL
Besançon regional university hospital has a three-fold mission: To meet the population’s health care needs through highly specialized care and a preventive strategy, — To invest in research to develop innovative techniques, — To teach and train future health care professionals.
- CGFL (CENTRE GEORGE-FRANÇOIS LECLERC)
France’s third largest anti-cancer centre in terms of patient numbers included in biomedical studies. More than one in five patients can have early access to the most recent drugs and innovative therapies.
- NATIONAL FRENCH BLOOD SERVICE
Cellular engineering, medical biology, cord blood and tissue bank, innovative therapy research, teaching, and production of advanced medical treatments :
Grand Est Cord Blood Bank
Grand Est Transfusion Biobank
High Ambition Innovation Areas
3 AWARD-WINNING PROJECTS IN THE REGION
Model territory for “2030 sustainable food system”
LED BY DIJON METROPOLE
Transformation of an industrial area – creation of an innovation ecosystem and development of green technologies
LED BY PAYS DE MONTBELIARD AGGLOMERATION AND GRAND BELFORT
Happi Montana “an archipelago of territories running 80 experiments, medium for the living lab on innovation and development in mountain areas”
LED BY CC MORVAN SOMMETS ET GRANDS LACS
Close cooperation between industry, education and training, and research
5 competitiveness clusters
BOURGOGNE-FRANCHE-COMTÉ MICROTECHNOLOGY CLUSTER
- Positioned in high added value sectors like biomedicine, safety, defence, and energy.
- 180 members
- Home to the full range of engineering expertise needed
to produce nuclear energy as well as to make the sector’s key components.
- 245 members
PLASTIPOLIS AUVERGNE-RHÔNE-ALPES BOURGOGNE-FRANCHE-COMTÉ
- Promotes development of the plastics sector, with an international focus.
- More than 350 members
BOURGOGNE-FRANCHE-COMTÉ GRAND EST VEHICLE OF THE FUTURE
- Solutions for the vehicles and mobility of the future: car parts, electric/hydrogen vehicles, smart and driverless cars, associated infrastructure and services, mobility as a service, industry 4.0.
- 420 members
VITAGORA BOURGOGNE-FRANCHE-COMTÉ ÎLE-DE-FRANCE
- United around a concept of well-being through food: flavour, caring for health, and environmental protection.
- More than 490 members
ACCELERATION OF TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER COMPANY IN BOURGOGNE-FRANCHE-COMTÉ AND THE GRAND EST (LORRAINE & SUD CHAMPAGNE)
It works to streamline, support, and accelerate the transfer of public technology and research to private companies of any size, through licensing, co-development of demos, R&D cooperation, and the creation of spin-off s and start-ups.
BOURGOGNE-FRANCHE-COMTÉ REGIONAL INCUBATOR
A mechanism to support the creation of innovative companies based on scientific and technological projects, resulting from or linked to public research.
TECHNOPOLE TEMIS, Besançon
- A high tech site of nearly 250 hectares.
- Businesses, research centres and laboratories develop their know-how and applications in high technological value sectors.
- Incubator, business nursery, business centre, property for rent and serviced building plots.
- Training bodies and engineering schools.
- A genuine campus for innovation.
- Gathers all actors involved in processes of innovation at a single venue: research, development, advice, financing, etc.
- Facilitates exchanges between the world of research and businesses, public and private sectors, providing an easily accessible, all-round service for innovation.
Network of farmers, researchers, investors and businesses to promote innovation in agriculture and its transfer to agricultural holdings. As an accelerator of agricultural innovation, AgrOnov also has a business incubator to host businesses including office facilities, meeting areas, laboratories, greenhouses and fields for testing.